Several years ago, my wife was skimming the Learning Annex catalogue and came across an interesting class.
“Hey Lawrence, do you know this guy, Sugarman, who’s giving a lecture on copywriting at the Learning Annex next week? Worth going to?”
“Worth going to…worth going to? Are you kidding?”
I implored her to call the Learning Annex the very next minute and enroll us.
Since my wife was a Wall Street person, I explained to her that Joe Sugarman was one of the most important direct marketing men alive.
- First to combine Toll-Free ordering with acceptance of credit cards.
- For a time, the writer and publisher of most of the advertising any traveler would encounter on an airline.
- The “copy chief” to a generation of super successful direct marketers: Richard Thalheimer of Sharper Image, Drew Kaplan of Dak and Fred Simon of Omaha Steaks
- The author of my favorite marketing book, “Triggers.”
- One of the pioneers of the television infomercial, whose Blublocker Sunglass brand is still going strong today
Unbelievably, the cost of this three hour training was about $50 a person. A far cry from the $2,000 he charged for his first seminar in 1977. It turned out the President of the Learning Annex was a personal friend of Joe’s and his copy helped launch the Annex in first place. Those three hours were one of the best investments ever made.
If you’ve never heard Joe speak in person, you’ve missed one of the most regaling and instructive lecturers you’ll ever hear. And this brings me to some exciting news. Joe will be on teleseminar with A-List copywriter, David Deutsch, tonight, Wednesday April 30th at 9:00 PM Eastern, 6:00 PM Pacific time.